Friday, March 15, 2013

Mile Dedications- by Geniene

With our first half marathon about 2 weeks away - I'm getting nervous!

I had a horrible long run last Saturday that almost left my body shut down after not fueling enough. And let me tell you I'm preaching to the choir (I've taught others about fueling your workouts/days) and here I was at mile 8 of the planned 11, barely able to walk let alone run.

SO with a renewed love for food :) and less concern over the scale: I'm more determined than ever to get this race under my belt - and to hang that darn medal on the wall!

I am planning to dedicate each mile to the following:

Mile 1: to Amy Schroder - who ran my first mile with me back in Spring of 2012 - I thought I would literally die. But her spirit and encouragement got me around that Conner campus and planted a seed in my soul. She was my buddy/leader in my first season and I have a lot of gratitude for her friendship and wisdom along the way.

Mile 2: to Marcy Burns - who knew I needed a program that had accountability even though I was trying to convince myself I didn't need it. She invited me to register in January 2012 and I will be forever grateful for that invitation and push in the right direction.

Mile 3: to Candace A - my life coach :) Not too much to add to that other than endless gratitude~

Mile 4: to my three boys: James, Nick and Michael. You have changed my life FORever for the better. I'm so glad to be a "mother runner" because of you! And to my step-daughter Jeanne - the only thing I would want to change about motherhood is the timing so that I could have enjoyed knowing you for you longer :)

Mile 5: My husband Brian. This year will mark our 5th wedding anniversary. Boy what a lot of life and living we have packed into 6 short years together. My life has been forever changed by you. Your support, unconditional love, encouragement and generosity keeps a constant arm around my shoulders 24/7. Thank you for sponsoring my first session with Mel's program. 

Mile 6: my running partner Amber.
I chose mile 6 for you because this was our longest run when we first started running together. I will never forget finishing the 2012 Turkey day 10K with you - and the overwhelming emotions. I know we have run further since then - but this was a day of such accomplishment - we set our sights on this half marathon and you have been at my side  (even in spirit) ever since.

Mile 7: to my chiropractor Dr. Ron Savignano - you are a genius. My back loves you, my ankle loves you, me knee loves you, my tail bone loves you....ok you get the picture. Thank you for helping me keep my body healthy and finely tuned :)

Mile 8: to my friends on Facebook: I know I post A LOT about health, the food I'm eating, my exercise routine. Well it's to keep me accountable - and if I've bored you ....oh well... stop reading. But the truth is you have sent me private messages and I know that somehow my journey is inspiring others - to run, to eat better, to start again, to start..... for all of you who 'like' or 'comment' or message me. thank you - love you!

Mile 9: To my sister Marcelle and my parents. Marcelle started running before I even dreamed I could - you inspire me :) You never complain - you have perseverance MASTERED! My parents rock!

Mile 10: To Kendall, Eddie, Jamie and Lenah: You have taught me so much as a newbie runner. Thank you for your support, your time and for sharing your love of running.

Mile 11: To my Goodridge and Yealey families. There are about 11 at GES currently in the Get Fit program and 3 at YES, and your journey inspires me ~ Thanks to  to all my friends/co-workers there who support my journey. A special thanks to my office mates Renee and Michelle who have to put up with my smelly snacks/and chatter about food and running ~ THANKS!

Mile 12: to Melody Hoppius - for creating this wonderful Get Fit program that has become part of my life/family.I would not be running or doing most of what I am today if I had not signed up for your program in January 2012

Mile 13 and the .1 : To my 5:30am HLC family. I love this group of boot campers - this is where it all started for me and to be able to instruct and work out with you - you keep my core and heart happy :) THis includes all the traitors who left us for the 5am class :) Love you all still! Also to everyone in Melody's Get Fit Family who thinks (and won't admit it) - "I wish I could run". Well you can - I wanted to run all my life and just never figured it out. JUST DO IT!! This 1.1 is for you.......a great place to start.

So with these dedications - here is my plan. I would like to create my running playlist in the next week so if you have a song or two or three (I run a 11:30 mile for distance) you would like me to listen to during my race - please send me the song name so I can customize my playlist.. That way you will be doubly on my mind :) Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment